Have you ever asked yourself: Am I feeding my cat properly?
The first thing you need to know is that cats are obligate carnivores, which means that they need muscle-based meats in their diet and that\’s why the first thing you need to look for in a good food brand is how much protein they are made off. The most used feeding methods are free-feeding , strict time meals, or both.
Cats are a very strong animal, but regardless of its strength they still need to be healthy, and food is the main factor when we are talking of good health. First, we will explain some facts about these food methods, and later on, we will talk about some two different types of food from Purina, Fancy feast, and Friskies.
Usually, free-feeding is associated with dry food, and the strict time meals with wet food, since the moist food can\’t be in a feeder for much time or it will perish. If you usually spend some time indoors, you can try the strict time feeding with wet or dry food, you just have to fill up the feeder in specific hours of the day and wait for your cat to eat.
Strict Time Feeding
The main advantage of this method are:
- You can monitor the food intake, you can see in advance if the cat appetite has changed, if the cat is eating less it can be a sign of some illness.
- If you have more than one cat, you can see closely if any of the cats are eating more than the others.
One disadvantage is that the cat can beg for food in the wrong hours.
The overall rule is that kittens should be fed up to three times a day, as adult specialists indicate that you can feed them once or twice a day and it can be satisfactory, depending on the quality of the food
First, as we said before, this method is associated with dry food, since the canned food if left out throughout the day can spoil. Free feeding your cat, can also show an advantage:
- The food is available at all times and the cat can eat in its own schedule.
The disadvantage of free-feeding is that it can lead to overeating and obesity, and it\’s difficult to tell if your cat\’s appetite has changed. Despite the dry food can endure more time, you still need to throw it away if it passes one day on the bowl, to maintain the freshness.
If you notice that your cat is gaining weight from free-feeding, there are some ways to decrease the food intake.
- You have to make sure to properly measure the amount of food necessary for the day.
- When the food is gone, don\’t fill it back up until the next day, this way your cat will get used to feeding throughout the day.
- Use a food puzzle with pre-measured food so you control how much and how often your cat eats.
Food puzzles provide activity and mental stimulation for cats since they are obligate hunters, in the natural environment, cats would naturally work for their food.
Buy your Food Puzzle now on Amazon
– Cat Amazing – Best Cat Toy Ever! Interactive Treat Maze & Puzzle Feeder for Cats
– All for Paws Interactive Puzzle Cat Feeder, Treat Maze Toy for Cats
– Catit Senses 2.0 Food Tree – Interactive Cat Toy
You can try the mixed feeding too, in some cases this method can improve the cat\’s health. It consists of serving canned food twice a day and dry food continues to be freely available.
- It allows your cat to eat multiple, small meals per day on its schedule, you can monitor it closely, especially the wet food.
- And nutritionally speaking, the benefits are greater, since you are mixing the canned that essentially has more nutrients and water and the dry that has more calories.
The disadvantage is that if your cat has an overheating problem, this method can also lead to obesity, like free feeding, you will need to measure the food and wait for the next day to refill.
Summing up, choosing between wet and dry food will depend on multiple factors like:
- If a cat is diagnosed with urinary and kidney issues – it will benefit from the higher moisture content in wet food.
- Dry food can help with your cat\’s teeth
- Dry food is easier to store.
The choice must be made with your vet and consider your cat\’s preference and also considering what is more affordable for you.
It\’s important to choose high-quality food to provide the cat with the nutrients it needs, considering it we have chosen a good brand with two types of food to talk about: Purina.
Friskies VS Fancy Feast
Is Fancy Feast better than Friskies?
To come up with an answer to this question we brought a comparison of the main ingredients on both.
Crude Protein Comparison For Cat Food
Purina Friskies typically provide less protein than Fancy Feast. However, this difference is relatively small and doesn\’t represent a significant difference between these two brands. Fancy Feast wet cat foods also provide more protein than Purina Friskies wet foods.
Crude Fat Comparison For Cat Food
Purina Friskies dry recipes contain 6.39% less fat than Fancy Feast dry recipes. For wet cat foods, Purina Friskies typically provides a little more fat (about 2.26% more).
Crude Fiber Comparison For Cat Food
Both brands provide roughly the same amount of crude fiber.
Buy your Dry Food now on Amazon
Concluding, we from CatnipToys think that Fancy Feast it\’s slightly better when compared to Friskies. It has more muscle meat than byproducts, and Friskies it\’s made mostly with byproducts. Another difference is that Friskies contains a small amount of rice while Fancy Feast does not, meaning that the Fancy Feast type has a lower quantity of carbs. Since cats are obligate carnivores, the fewer carbs quantity the better. Although, Friskies is cheaper than Fancy Feast, if you can not afford to buy Fancy Feast for now, Friskies it\’s a great choice!
Buy your Wet Food now on Amazon
– Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers Wet Cat Food Variety Pack, Poultry and Beef Feast Collection, (24) 3 Oz Cans
– Purina Friskies Wet Cat Food Variety Pack, Surfin\’ & Turfin\’ Prime Filets Favorites – (40) 5.5 oz. Cans